I was away for the first three days of this week, and although I could participate in the Ethnographic Film Unit 3 class on Dziga Vertov and Sergei Eisenstein on Tuesday night, I didn’t have any time to read during those days.
I was therefore slightly unprepared for the Digital Anthropology Unit 3 class on Thursday, but it was so interesting that I read all the recommended readings after class. (I was partly late with my readings for Unit 3 because I had started to look into those for Unit 7, since that’s where I’ll be having a presentation.) I really love this course and think the readings are very well chosen, with a few exceptions. I get lots of ideas all the time about things to research, and I write them down.
On Saturday I took a day off to edit my first five minute movie from Ethiopia, where we go to Azwa Mariam Monastery on an island in Lake Tana by Bahir Dar.
Ethnographic Film, Unit 3
- Film: Sergei Eisenstein: Battleship Potemkin (1925, 75 min)
Ethnographic Film, Unit 4
- Unit 4: Early Documentary/Fiction Film: Realism & Neorealism. Module introduction.
- Grimshaw, Anna (2001): The light of reason: John Grierson, Radcliffe-Brown and the enlightenement project. In The Ethnographer’s Eye: Ways of seeing in Modern Anthropology, pp. 57-68.
Films to this unit:
- Roberto Rossellini: Rome Open City (1945, 102 min)
- Edgar Anstey & Arthur Elton (prod. by John Grierson): Housing Problems (1935, 15 min)
- Harry Watt & Basil Wright (prod. by John Grierson): Night Mail (1936, 22 min)
Digital Anthropology, Unit 3
- Postill, J., and Sarah Pink (2012): Social media ethnography: the digital researcher in a messy web. Media International Australia, 14 p.
- Daniel Miller et al. (2016): Introductory chapters. In How the World Changed Social Media, pp. 1-41.
- Video: Daniel Miller introduces Tales from Facebook
- Frömming et al. (2017): Digital Environments and the Future of Ethnography. An Introduction. In Digital Environments. Ethnographic Perspectives across Global Online and Offline Spaces, pp. 13-21.
- Collins, Samuel et al (2017): Ethnographic Apps/Apps as Ethnography. In Anthropology Now 9, no. 1, pp. 102-118.
Digital Anthropology, Unit 7
- Baym, Nancy (2012): Fans or Friends? Seeing Social Media audiences as musicians do. In Journal of Audience and Reception Studies 9, no. 2, pp. 286-316.
- Baym, Nancy (2015): Connect with your audience! The relational labor of connection. In The Communication Review 18, no. 1, pp. 14-22.
- Abidin, Crystal (2018): Preface. In Internet Celebrity. Understanding Fame Online, p. ixx-xxii.
- The Economist: The truth about a no-deal Brexit
- The Economist: Why Donald Trump is wrong to ignore the murder of a Saudi journalist