Last week of school this year! Almost three months of intense studies lie behind me: This week we finished unit 7 of both Classics and Varieties of Ethnographic Film and Digital Anthropology, where I was one of the presenters:
Ethnographic Film Unit 7
Towards a shared Anthropology: Jean Rouch and Cinéma-Vérité
- Rouch, Jean (2003): The Camera and Man. In Paul Hockings (ed.): Principles of Visual Anthropology, pp.79-98.
- Grimshaw, Anna (2001): The anthropological cinema of Jean Rouch. In The Ethnographer’s Eye: Ways of seeing in Modern Anthropology, pp. 112-120.
Films to this unit:
- Michel Brault and Gilles Groulx: Les Raquetteurs (1958, 15 min.)
- Jean Rouch: Chronicle of a Summer (1961, 87 min.)
Digital Anthropology Unit 7
Online Celebrities: Social media as a marketing tool.
- Seaver, Nick (2017): Algorithms as culture: Some tactics for the ethnography of algorithmic systems. In Big Data & Society 4, no. 2, pp. 1-12.
- Related film: The American Meme (2018, 98 min)
- The Economist: How to think about data in 2019
- The Economist: Inevitably, France’s gilets jaunes protesters debate the metaphysics of roundabouts
- Geek.com: ‘The American Meme’ Plumbs the Dark Side of Internet Fame
- The New York Times: How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New With ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’
Film & video
- Mowgli (2018, 104 min)
- Flushed Away (2006, 85 min)
- Dogs of Berlin, S1 E3-E4
- Linus Tech Tips: Apple Killed the Mac Mini
- MyTechLiving: Colorgrading SLog in Final Cut Pro
- DemocracyNow: You Are Stealing Our Future: Greta Thunberg, 15, Condemns the World’s Inaction on Climate Change