Not a study-intense week, although I presented my project to the class in Digital Anthropology. I also spent some time creating two “recruitment ads” which I uploaded to the networks I will be researching.
In Ethnographic Film Unit 11 – the last unit – I liked Chantal Akerman’s film News from home very much. I thought that she was only 21 years old when she shot the New York street scenes and that it must have taken a lot of confidence to “waste” so much film for “nothing”. But she was 26. The film was shot in 1976 but in a way that would elicit 1971, the year she arrived to NYC.
Next week a new course will begin about the theory and history of anthropology. That will conclude this semester. I’ve already registered for the next and got my student card validated.
Outside the studies, I finished Alexandre Enkerli’s almost ten years old podcast series Rapport: The Informal Ethnographer Podcast. I really enjoyed it. It confirmed what I have been learning over the last semester in a good way. Alexandre obviously knows his stuff and is nice to listen to.
On Friday I hosted another episode of our Swedish podcast on internet privacy:
Saturday was a full day out with friends and a visitor.
Started watching Mr Robot season 3. Not entirely convinced.
Ethnographic Film Unit 11
- Morra, Joanne (2007): Daughter’s Tongue: The Intimate Distance of Translation. In Journal of Visual Culture 6, issue 1 (April 2007), pp. 91-108.
And the film:
- Chantal Akerman: News from home (1977, 88 min)
Readings related to my research.
- Boellstorff, Tom, Bonnie Nardi, Cecilia Pearce, and T.L. Taylor (2012): Ethnography and Virtual Worlds. Handbook of methods:
- 5: Participant observation in virtual worlds (pp. 65-91)
- Fisch, Michael (2018): An Anthropology of the Machine. Tokyo’s Commuter Train Network:
- 2: Inhabiting the Interval (pp. 48-78)
- The Economist: How Brussels should respond to Britain’s confused demands
- The Economist: The danger of tailings dams
- Hyperallergic/Jasmine Weber: Discerning Photography’s White Gaze
- Die Welt: In Davos stößt das Greta-Prinzip an seine Grenzen
- Alexandre Enkerli: Rapport: The Informal Ethnographer Podcast (2009)
- 9: Establishing Rapport
- 10: Social Butterfly Effect (SBE)
- 11: Podfade and Future Plans