It was a stressful week. I finished the rough cut of the machinima already on Tuesday night, watched it with S on Wednesday and got solid and important feedback. Set to work on the quite significant changes immediately.
My friend A arrived unexpectedly from Sweden Wednesday night.
I loved Clifford Geertz’ thick text on cockfighting for Theory & History Unit 12 on Friday. “Cockfighting as a text”, that reflects and shapes society similarly to the works by Shakespeare and Dickens. James Clifford’s introduction to Writing Cultures was harder to get through. I actually finished both texts today, so I was slightly unprepared for class.
I had a ten minute meeting with the lecturer after class to present my idea for an essay. Her main advice was to be particular and not choose a too wide scope to study. It’s just an essay, after all, not a thesis.
Participated in the Article 13 demo on Saturday and interviewed people while S filmed. What an atmosphere! I think we caught it well in the 20 minute piece I put together. Editing, translating, exporting and uploading took all night – I left the studio at 5.30 in the morning, and so had quite a mellow Sunday with no machinima editing (as first planned).
Theory and History of Social and Cultural Anthropology
Unit 12: Symbolic and Interpretive Anthropologies (Geertz)
- Geertz, Clifford (1973): Chapter 15. Deep Play: Notes on the Balinese Cockfight. In The Interpretation of Cultures, pp. 412-453.
Unit 13: Writing/Culture (Clifford/Marcus)
- Clifford, James (1986): Introduction: Partial Truths. In Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography, edited by James Clifford and George E. Marcus, pp. 1-26.
- The Economist: Oh **UK! What next for Brexit?
- The Economist: A shadow over flight’s golden age
- The Economist: Press freedom in Ethiopia has blossomed. Will it last?
- The Economist: Germany’s chancellor-in-waiting makes a rightward tilt
- The Economist: A Croatian inventor says he is building the world’s fastest car
- The Economist: Proposals to tax pieds-à-terre in New York are gaining ground
- The Economist: Why big tech should fear Europe
- The Economist: The new face of terror, much like the old
- The Economist: Regulatory capture may be responsible for Boeing’s recent problems
- The Economist: Are Japan’s ubiquitous personal seals endangered?
- Tropics of meta/Alex Sayf Cummings: The Case Against Bodies
- Tagesspiegel: Nach Intersexuellen-Witz: Kramp-Karrenberger erklärt Debatte für beendet
- Google: Stadia GDC 2019 Gaming Announcement (60 min)
- Sam Sheffer: MKBHD STUDIO TOUR 5.0! (20 min)
- Erika Lust: It’s time for porn to change | TEDxVienna (2014, 13 min)
- Various Eggboy videos