We spent most of the week at Freiburger Filmforum, where S’ film was screened – I joined him on stage for the Q&A. It was a fantastic film festival with lots of really good ethnographic films from around the world. Almost all filmmakers were there and we got to know several of them. A very inspiring trip and a good fit to the programme I’m in.
- Monday: Space & Place. Unit 4, on mapping.
- Tuesday: Media Activism. Unit 4, on media practice theory, a concept that was new to me. I did this class from Freiburg.
- Friday: Research Proposal. Unit 2. I tried to do the class from Basel airport, but it was a complete fail due to Adobe Connect.
(Thursday’s Immersive Tech was cancelled due to a public holiday in Germany.)
After coming home from Freiburger Filmforum I rushed to the Apple Store to get back my Macbook Pro – it had got a new screen but the keyboard remains, cleaned though. We’ll see, maybe that’s enough.
And then we rushed to the monthly Critical Mass but aborted because of heavy rain.
Today I booked my preparatory fieldwork trip to Japan! I’ll be gone about four weeks in September and the beginning of October. It feels great to finally have made the decision and bought the ticket! I immediately started to get back to my Japanese studies, and I picked up a manga book I hadn’t got to read yet: My favourite mangaka Kurumatani Haruko’s アイドル様の夜のお顔 (Mr Idol’s night face?). I couldn’t find her books in any physical shop on my last Japan trip in October 2017, but Japanese Amazon delivered them to my hotel.
Next, I must contact various people and see where it may take me.
Space and Place
Unit 4: Applied Methods: I – Maps from Switzerland / Indonesia. Weakness and Limitations of Mapping.
- Wood, Denis. 2014. The Anthropology of Cartography. In Mapping Cultures, Place Practice, Performance. Palgrave. Pp. 280-303.
Unit 5: Applied Methods: II – Classical Anthro. Methods.Techniques for Interviewing & Observation.
- Silverman, David. 2009. Chapter 3: “Ethnography and Observation.” In Doing Qualitative Research. Third Edition. Sage. Beginning: Pp. 43-56 (82).
- Andrews, Hazel. 2012. “Mapping My Way: Map-making and Analysis in Participant Observation.” In Mapping Cultures: Place Practice, Performance. Palgrave. Pp. 216-235.
Unit 4: Practice, Agency & Change
- Borofsky, R. (1994). The cultural in motion. In R. Borofsky (Ed.), Assessing cultural anthropology, pp. 313-319. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Unit 6: Media Activism & Ethnographic Research
- Coleman, E. G. (2010). Ethnographic approaches to digital media. Annual Review of Anthropology 39, pp. 1-19.
- 車谷晴子：アイドル様の夜のお顔（2007）pp. 1-41.
- 中級日本語口頭表現教材「日本語で話そう！」 – 明治大学 (Meiji University, pre-advanced)
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT1 自己紹介（じこしょうかい）
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT2 目上の人にインタビュー
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT3 一分間スピーチ(1) ～優先席（ゆうせんせき）～
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT3 一分間スピーチ(2) ～私の弱点～
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT4 意見（いけん）をのべるスピーチ～カタカナ語について～
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT5 ディスカッション ～就職活動（しゅうしょくかつどう）～
- [AUDIO]中上級（日本語字幕）UNIT6 ディスカッション ～ほめてそだてる？しかってそだてる？～
- Andrew Feinberg: NHK Easy Japanese (12 min)
- The Economist:
- The Japan Times: Two die, nearly 600 taken to hospitals nationwide as heat wave hits parts of nation
- Wired/Paul Ford: Why I (Still) Love Tech: In Defense of a Difficult Industry
- Debatt: Kasselstrand vs Bard (165 min!)
- Freiburger Filmforum!