I rewrote the findings part of my essay for Media Activism after valuable feedback from S, and submitted it on Wednesday, two days before deadline. Again, the wonderful feeling of submitting! S submitted his own article, carefully proofread by me, to his publisher on the same day.
I changed the subject for my Space and Place project again. I will now research how Veloviewer Explorer is used. It’s highly relevant for the course – especially unit 8 on “GIS and multimedia mapping” – and I have found several readings that fit very well. I started out by posting a survey pretty randomly, just to see if I could get some informants. Well, thanks to the retweets by Veloviewer and Martijn Hendriks (35k followers combined) I got 55 (!) respondents within the first 24 hours, 51 of whom had checked the box to let me contact them with further questions. I was overwhelmed by the response and touched by the stories that emerged from this disparate group of solo explorers. I now have 68 respondents in total. This is what success looks like in my website statistics:
I spent the day today going over printouts of the answers with highlighters, and I must say that it’s amazing how consistently the themes emerge. This is probably as close to grounded theory as I will ever come. Not close enough to buy Atlas.ti though. It also made me very inspired to go out again and fill tiles.
I’m now trying to figure out which theory that we discussed in class that my research can be connected to, as per the instructions.
On a side note, my glory hole informant got back to me today.
The final project was lingering, I did not get back to any of my Japanese informants. But I kept studying grade six kanji – my Memrise streak has grown to 48 straight days.
Two visitors from Sweden: Lunch with J at Literaturhaus on Thursday, dinner with A at Vietbowl tonight.
I had an appointment at the Apple Store on Thursday and they finally promised to change the top case of my crappy (there I said it) Macbook Pro.
I got a polite no from Mandarake in Tokyo to film there. So I will continue contacting other stores. I basically just want to shoot some sexy b-roll, the kind of which people shoot from these stores on their phones all the time – Youtube is full of it. But I don’t want to film on the sly with my gimbal setup. I want to be able to focus on the shot and not on trying to hide.
I should book a hotel for my Tokyo stay, which is now less than a month away!
Had a final visit to the dentist on Thursday. It was all good.
We completed the last season of Black Mirror, which was not as good as previous ones. But even so, what an amazing series!
- Memrise: 40,900 (jōyō kanji, 小6)
- Nextbook 漢字:
- Scattered repeat of 小3 writing level 1–26
- The Economist:
- The Daily Beast:
- Chicago Sun Times: SWAT team shot my 12-year-old: mom’s lawsuit (Amir Worship)
- Buzzfeed: This Quirky New Viral Video Channel Is Funded By The Russian Government
- Netzpolitik: Redfish: Neuer Propagandasender von Russia Today aus Berlin
- Second Life
- Kotaku: PlayStation Home And Second Life: Worlds Apart (2008)
- Techspot: Sony to shut down ‘Second Life’ alternative PlayStation Home early next year (2014)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: After Frustrations in Second Life, Colleges Look to New Virtual Worlds (2010)
- Linden Lab: Second Life End-of-Year Update: Wrapping Up 2018. What’s Next for 2019?
- Gay Star News:
- Bunnyears: Which Drug Pairs Best With Your Morning Coffee?
- Melanin Unscripted: Black In Tokyo Documentary 2017
- Matti Haapoja: 5 BROLL MISTAKES You Should AVOID!
- Max Yuryev: Ronin SC vs Zhiyun Crane 2 – Watch this Before you Buy!
- Chris Hau:
- Casey Neistat: DJI OSMO Pocket vs. GOPRO 7 (which has better stabilization??)
- Color Grading Central: Final Cut Pro X Learn Color Grading Tutorial for FCPX 10.4
Film & TV
- Catch Me If You Can (2002, 141 min)
- Black Mirror S5 (2019)
- Futurama S1 (1999)
- Sommar i P1: Mats Strandberg (56 min)