A tiny week of free time and preparations before heading off to Tokyo. I had dinner with A on Thursday and hosted a little get-together with the new student S and his wife N on Friday – drinks in my studio and dinner at Vietbowl. We were joined by K and S, and continued to Hops and Barley to meet R and A, and a visiting Japanese designer, H.
I published my Space and Place paper “The GPS Selfie: Embodied Mapping Practices in Veloviewer Explorer” on Researchgate and the accompanying film Tiling on Youtube:
Got very nice feedback from the users of Veloviewer Explorer, which was the subject of my research. One of my informants wrote to me:
“individuals’ use of geographical information systems (GIS) can be seen as a form of self-expression”, that is a great conclusion and valid one!
And Ben Lowe, the developer of Veloviewer, published a blog post about it and tweeted that the audio and video “capture what Exploring is about”:
It felt important to share my findings with the community immediately instead of waiting for the paper to be graded first. And I am relieved that the community felt correctly represented.
I spent some time reading the last chapters of Michael Fisch’s ethnography of the Tokyo commuter train system. I really loved this book and how it managed to convey something important through a mix of technical theory and personal stories. Man and machine. Man with machine. An innovative ethnography that apparently took many years to produce.
I submitted my thesis proposal draft on Friday, which officially closes the second semester for me. So I have now effectively studied half of this programme, and I will take a well-needed break in Tokyo for four weeks before kicking off the third semester with in-house classes in the beginning of October.
- Nextbook 漢字:
- 小3 writing level 44–53
- The Economist:
- The Guardian/book review: Fully Automated Luxury Communism by Aaron Bastani – a manifesto for the future
- Larry Jordan: What Media Creators Need to Know About the New Apple File System (2017)
- Fisch, Michael. 2018. An Anthropology of the Machine. Tokyo’s Commuter Train Network. The University of Chicago Press.
- “Forty-Four Minutes.” Chapter 5: 166–205.
- “Ninety Seconds.” Chapter 6: 206–59.
- “Conclusion: Reflections on the Gap.” 260–66.
- The Ministry of Counterculture: Monologue for two: Timon Screech about Erotic Art in Japan
- Max Yuryev: Do I Regret buying the Ronin SC? – Honest Review
Film & TV
- Toy Story 2 (1999, 92 min)
- Christiane Amanpour: Sex & Love Around the World. S1 E1: Tokyo. (2018. God, I hate this kind of TV journalism.)
- Futurama S2