God, what a busy week. Lots of classes and readings, plus that I prepared my presentation for Space and Place, which I will have tomorrow. Such a challenge to condense it to ten minutes after having done so much research.
I also wrote questions for the guest lecturer of next week’s Media Activism (no class this week) – that was our assignment.
The highlight of the week was when the grade for Digital Anthropology from the first semester came on Monday, along with very extensive feedback from one of the lecturers. I put a lot of effort into my machinima and I think the grade and feedback was very fair.
It’s such a great feeling to be graded by a superior. You seldom have that chance in life after you finish school, is my experience.
I started to contact people in Japan, starting with one mangaka and a subculture expert who I know from before. The latter replied and immediately sent me to some relevant web resources. He also offered to check the Japanese translation of my machinima. I’m planning to make a new version where I narrate in Japanese. I’m translating the narration myself, but let native speakers on Lang-8 correct it, one chunk at a time. Lang-8 is such a great idea, I can’t believe I haven’t used the site for years!
The landlord of the Tokyo house I stayed in in 2013 replied that it was taken.
On top of all this I completely refurnished my studio and the result was amazing. It has become a place (!) which inspires me and which I long for. The final touch was a desk for S, so that we from now on both can use the studio as we want. Unfortunately it is extremely hot right now.
- Monday: Space & Place. Unit 6. Third and last unit on applied mapping.
- Wednesday: Qualitative Methods. On interviewing across ethnicities.
- Thursday: Immersive Tech. Unit 6. Guest lecturer.
- Friday: Research Proposal. The last unit out of four.
Unit 7: Digital Activism
- Postill, J. 2018. Chapter 2: “Nerds of a Feather”. In The rise of nerd politics: Digital activism and political change, pp. 27–57. London: Pluto Press.
Space and Place
Unit 7: The Built Environment
- Gieryn, Thomas F. 2000. “A Space for Place in Sociology.” In Annual Review of Sociology. Vol. 26, pp.463–496. Palo Alto: Annual Reviews. (Originally for unit 1, but I had apparently not got through it then, so it was good that this important text was repeated in this unit!)
- Latham, Alan. 1999. “Powers of Engagement: On Being Engaged, Being Indifferent, and Urban Life.” In Area. Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 161–168. Royal Geographical Society.
- Gunaratnam, Y. 2003. “Messy Work: Qualitative Interviewing Across Difference Researching Race and Ethnicity.” In Methods, Knowledge and Power, pp. 79-105. London: Sage Publications. (I’ve only read half so far!)
Unit 6: Uncertainty as a Technology, Technology as Uncertainty
- Garrett, Banning. 2015. “The Individual Empowered by Mobile Computing Power and Connectivity”. In Technology Will Keep Changing Everything—and Will Do It Faster, pp. 14–16. Atlantic Council.
- Garrett, Banning. 2015. “The Future Is Unevenly Distributed”. In Technology Will Keep Changing Everything—and Will Do It Faster, pp. 16–18. Atlantic Council.
- Memrise: 40,900
- Nextbook 漢字: 小2 level 27–41
- サブカル 003-007
- The Economist:
- Leader: The rule of law in Hong Kong
- Leader: The EU must keep its promise to North Macedonia
- Facebook wants to create a worldwide digital currency
- The idea of criminalising prostitutes’ clients is spreading
- Botswana legalises gay sex
- An attack on free speech in Nigeria
- Black men in America are living almost as long as white men
- Worker-ownership funds: The winner (no longer) takes it all
- Leader: Which Boris would Britain get?
- Der Spiegel: Berliner Senat einigt sich auf Mietendeckel
- Süddeutsche Zeitung: Immobilienboom spaltet Deutschland in Arm und Reich
- The Gaily Grind: Armed Neo-Nazis Crash Detroit Pride Parade. Seen Ripping Rainbow Flags, Urinating On Israeli Flag
- BBC: Ethiopia army chief shot dead in ‘coup bid’ attacks
- Techcrunch: Maker Faire halts operation and lays off all staff
- The School of Life: How to Survive a Loss of Reputation
- Yuval Noah Harari: Q&A on Being Gay
- Mr. Heang: Building Underground House With Underground Swimming Pool – 2
- The Melisizwe Brothers: I’ll Be There (Jackson5)
- RBB: Straßenkreuz für Jacob